Citing Hugh Masekela, Fanga, Etta James and The Notorious B.I.G. as his influences: Barney Whittaker (better known as Footshooter) is truly a man of the world.
Appearing live at Melodic Distraction 001, Footshooter showcased these influences with style: bustin’ out a sample-heavy set alongside the MVC crew on his 404.
With a recent release on Headcount Records, Brighton-based Footshooter has shuffled between hiphop, funk and broken-beat with the daringness of an artist who refuses to be boxed in by genre or trends. A strong member of the MVC and Brainchild crews, our man not only brings great sounds with him, but an overwhelming sense of time, place and community.
Leaving us with one of the most eclectic Roots & Influences mixes we’ve ever received, we hand over to Footshooter himself to run down his 100% killer selections.
Footshooter: I’m a firm believer in letting the music speak for itself so I’m going to keep this brief. A lot of these tunes have greatly influenced the sounds I work with as a producer, while others are simply great songs. They span over 60 years of musical exploration of artists hailing from countries across the globe.
Shout out to the Melodic Distraction guys for inviting me to do this mix – it was a lot of fun to put together. Also a massive shout out to all of the artists featured here, whether or not they got recognition for their music at the time when it was released.
A lot of love has gone into this selection and I hope you enjoy it.
- Bill Landford and The Landfordaires – Lord, I’m Troubled
- Nina Simone – Baltimore
- Bobby Womack – California Dreaming
- Hedzoleh Soundz – Kaa Ye Oyai (Don’t Be In A Hurry)
- Badbadnotgood – Title Theme / Saria’s Song / Song of Storms
- Kendrick Lamar – How Much A Dollar Cost
- Flying Lotus – Getting There (feat. Nikki Randa)
- Jesse James Solomon – J.F.S.E
- Chance The Rapper – Lost (feat. Noname)
- Jai Paul – Track 3/Zion Wolf
- Fatima – Riding Round (Sky High)
- Little Dragon – Twice (16 Bit Remix)
- Mbongwana Star – Malukayi
- Romare – Down The Line (It Takes A Number)
- Ghostpoet – Us Against Whatever Ever
- Moodymann – Why Do U Feel
- Jay McShann – T’Ain’t Nobody’s Business (If We Do)